We finally got to use Snowy, J's brand new ice cream machine. J finished work a little later than he had hoped but we both decided that we would push on and make ice cream last night. It turned out to be a late night but it was well worth it. The following is the recipe for the delicious vanilla ice cream we made.
2 vanilla beans
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
yolks from 3 large eggs
This recipe makes about 1.5 litres of ice cream
1) Place cream and milk into a pot.
2) Halve the vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape the seeds and put them in the pot.
3) Bring the mixture almost to a boil but never let it start boilling. Stir it occasionally and remove it from heat.
4) In a large bowl, beat the yolk of the eggs with the sugar until it forms a thick custard.
5) Pour the cream, milk and vanilla mixture slowly into the large bowl, stirring continuously. This will form a custard.
6) Cook the custard over a low heat until the consistency of the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon.
7)Pour the custard into a clean bowl and leave it to cool for at least 3 hours or until cold (maximum of 1 day).
8) Switch on the ice cream machine. Pour the cooled custard into the ice cream machine.
9) Wait for it to churn for 40 minutes.
10) The ice cream should be ready at this stage. Transfer the ice cream into an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.
Custard being poured into Snowy.
Little Snowy churning away...
And soon Snowy had made us a delectable Vanilla bean ice cream