With a focus on innov-Asian, HWKR offers a true culinary “bang”. Located on the ground floor of Eq. Tower on A’Beckett Street in Melbourne’s CBD, HWKR’s most distinctive feature – and one that is guaranteed to keep customers coming back time and time again, is a rotating calendar of tenancies which sees it host an array of national and internationally renowned restaurants, each for a limited 3-month residency, in its four permanent, state-of-the-art commercial kitchens.
Operating from May to July, are Wonderbao, Gelato Messina, Son In Law and fellow Masterchef alumni Diana Chan’s first ever restaurant CHANTEEN.

Evoking Asia’s urban street markets, HWKR’s design (by Award-winning Craig Tan Architects and BrandWorks designers) boasts three zones over two platform levels. The entrance houses the bar. Moving deeper into the space, patrons are greeted with mesh-clad kiosks, home to each of the rotating tenancies, their names illuminated in ultra tech LED boards above each one.  

One of the most exciting tenants is CHANTEEN by Masterchef 2017 winner Diana Chan who travelled to Singapore and Malaysia no less than three times to perfect her offering. Using ‘scratch’ cooking (meaning everything is made from scratch daily), Diana has worked family recipes with traditional Singaporean and Malaysian cooking techniques into her menu, with dishes evolving weekly. What really sets CHANTEEN'S menu apart, however, is the fact that all proteins are finished over locally sourced Murrumbidgee charcoal which are constantly hand basted and fanned, giving dishes a robust and smokey flavour. Our top pick and Chan’s personal favourite from her menu is the Satay in either chicken or beef, marinated using her dad Joe Chan's top secret recipe from scratch using over 20 ingredients. Not to be missed!

For the sweet tooth, the Gelato Messina treats are sure to hit the spot. Messina have brought a range of nostalgic and never seen before ‘mono-portions’ to HWKR Melbourne. Their fully stocked cabinet of mono-portions include 5 custom single serve gelato items - one of which is their famous ‘Dr Evil’s Magic Mushroom Cake’ in miniature from, plus 4 brand new creations which are exclusive to HWKR.

The drinks front is managed and operated by Melbourne-based non-for-profit MAI Foundation, the Manymore café offers excellent coffee by social enterprise STREAT, and an on-the-go breakfast menu including, toasted sandwiches, and pastries. By night Manymore transforms into a full service bar with a cheeky, Asian influenced cocktail list as well as a full wine, beer and whisky list available. The best bit is that 90% of profits from Manymore is donated to food related charities and initiatives, with the other 10% donated to charities directly supported by the MAI Foundation, including Ygap and the YMCA.

They say variety is the spice of life. HWKR not only guarantees diners plenty of variety, but offers unparalleled access to some amazing international and local upcoming chefs and restaurants. Very cool indeed.

Location: 137 A’Beckett St, Melbourne CBD
Link: www.hwkr.com.au

Gelato Messina Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato